Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Pearly Update

Pearly Update

Pearly's spay surgery slowed her down big time. I took her in Monday morning and picked her up Tuesday afternoon. She was so happy to see me, and was so annoyed by her stitches. Got her settled in at home, with instructions for KJ to keep an eye on her and headed for the pool. She acts like she's trying to run away from herself. She keeps darting to the other end of the house, then sits down and starts to lick her incision. Which we have to stop her from doing. I have a cone I can put on her, but she's fine so far. 
As we were leaving the vet on her exam day, we were in the lobby setting up her spay appointment and a man came in with his mom and her cat. He was probably in his 20's. Pearly about ate him up, acting like he was her long lost friend. His mom asked me if her previous owner was a man, and I said, yes, actually, which then made perfect sense why she was so excited. I've never had this happen before.

I took this picture of her last night about 15 minutes after giving her a pain pill. I noticed her trying to stay awake, tongue hanging out a bit. She plopped over right after taking this.


I will be getting information to the bio person and taking more pictures. 
Notes: 
  • Pearly is a very sweet dog, but definitely still a puppy at a year old. She's housebroken, but has had a couple accidents, which is more my fault than hers. I have to be very patient with her when we're outside. She can take a long time to do her business at times. There are times when I can't wait, thus the accident. That said, she is getting quicker as we settle into our routine. Being young, there is just so much to investigate when we're outside and she is more interested in what's going on, than she is in going potty.
  • Very tender and loving when receiving attention.
  • She definitely needs to be crated, at least for now. I've been feeding her in the garage, away from my dogs. She shows no aggression when I set her bowl down. I will put my hand in her food and mix it up in my fingers just to show her I can do this and it's nothing to worry about. When she's done eating and I haven't let her back into the house, she gets into stuff. Little stuff, like pulling a plastic bag off the grooming table, or digging in an open box. I crate her when we're gone and won't even test her on being loose at this point. She'll dip into a wastebasket right in front of me.
  • She would probably chase motorcycles or buses, if she was off-leash.
  • She needs leash training. Can pull pretty hard and very determined to get her way about getting to where she wants to go, not where I want to go.
  • Loves to play with my dogs!
  • Possessive of the bone she came with. I put it in her kennel, so she has it and my dogs can't steal it from her. 
  • Extremely interested in the cats. She will try to corner them and chases them if they run, but hasn't been aggressive toward them. There are times when they allow her to be nose-to-nose with them.
  • Friendly with strangers and thinks everybody wants to be involved in her fabulousness.
  • Tolerated brushing.

No comments:

Post a Comment