Monday, August 15, 2011

All is well

I got an email from Kathy today telling me of Mac's first few days at home and she gave me the okay to post that and the pictures she took. The two dogs really compliment each other and Mac looks like he's loving his new yard.
______________________________________________________

I just wanted you to know that even though I’m sure Mac misses you and KJ he’s doing well!  Last night Mac and Riley started to work on figuring out what it means to play.  I’m attaching a couple pictures of them getting acquainted.  You might be surprised to hear that I’ve heard Mac bark 5 times now.  Twice last night while he chased me in the yard and 3 times today again as he chased me while I was kicking a large ball.  I suspect he might not have been playing but I might have been being herded!  (Do I look like a horse?)  No matter what he was doing it didn’t include any nipping so we were both ok with it.  He ate real well and spent his first night gated in our half bath with access to a large crate lined with his quilt.  As you described we didn’t hear a peep out of him all night.  I’ve been using the NILIF program and he seems to be responding well to it.  He was timid again this morning and but warmed up quickly.  While I was working in the back fenced yard with the 2 dogs today twice I noticed that Mac got up from his spot and went over to lay by Riley.  He also at times followed him around. Riley appreciates that Mac is calm and not in his face.  Hopefully that will continue even after the “true” Mac personality is revealed.  We weighed Mac tonight.  As you might expect he weighs just 57#.  I’m glad to see he has a healthy appetite.  We are looking forward to seeing him fill out his fluffy coat.  Today he seemed to want to be wherever his people were even though he still sometimes cowered slightly when approached.  I expect him to feel more confident each day and we will be patient.  I’ll update you in a few days.





We let Mac roam the house this morning while we were away for about 2 hours.  Both Mac & Riley were looking out the front bay window when we returned.  Mac was barking some along with Riley.  He left the window twice to run to the back door.  Mike let both boys out and Mac was jumping around excitedly.  I think he’s overcoming a bit of his shyness.  (ha, ha)  By the way the cats were accounted for, too.

___________________________________________________________

I know barking dogs can be annoying, but I'm actually glad to hear Mac is using his voice. He barked once at my house that I know of. I think Thor barked so much that Mac figured he'd just let him do it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment