Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Off topic: They tore up paradise

Summer Solstice. Bittersweet because now the daylight hours start getting shorter, but I don't dwell on it. It's summer! My favorite season. 

But this is about Webber Pool. I'm trying really hard not to feel depressed about this. I'm also vindictively hoping for failure in this plan for Webber Park. Really, I am. I don't even feel guilty about it. They could have built up the park and kept the pool for the same price. Built in 1910!

mpls-parks-fig-15-02 
Webber Pool, year unknown. From the time it was built in 1910 until 1927, water was diverted form Shingle Creek to fill the pool. Beginning in 1927 the pool used filtered and chlorinated city water. In the early years, boys and girls used the pool at different times. One reason for the high wall around the pool was to prevent boys and girls from watching each other swim. In the 1930s, more than 1,500 children under the age of 14 used the pool every summer day. (City of Parks, Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board)



From 1996 through 2010, this pool was my 'summer at the beach'. I bought my first house a half block away because it was close to this pool. Someone asked me, 'you bought a house because it was close to a pool'? HELL YES! Six lanes of twenty-five meters on the one end, I swam laps daily for the 2 1/2 months it was open. I often had the place to myself during morning laps. Lazy Sundays were so peaceful. They opened at 11:00, but NOBODY showed up until 1.

582462_10151008071604274_1012550808_n

There is nothing like diving in and laying at the bottom reveling in the prisms of all that sparkling water. 

It was a safe haven for kids in a not so safe neighborhood.

I know nothing stays the same, but this should have been listed on the historical register. Just my opinion, I know. Stupid Jon Olson, who ran a crooked campaign to win as park rep for the area. This new plan is his plan. He has been pushing this for many years. I will not ever go to his Dairy Queen and again, I hope his plan is an epic failure.

KJ went there Monday with his friend showing her the old neighborhood. Funny how he left when he was in 1st grade, but he still has ties to the area through the summers since spent at the pool.

He took this picture. Makes me so sad.

IMG00053-20120618-1336

No comments:

Post a Comment